Maharana Jagat Singh and his son Pratap Singh
Maharana Jagat Singh II (b. 1709, r. 1734-51) was the builder of the Jagniwas, now the Lake Palace Hotel in the middle of the Pichola Lake at Udaipur. The halo and the faint crescent moon above his forehead declare his status as Maharana and even without the inscription on the reverse we would be able to identify his distinctive profile. He wears a plain white jama embroidered with gold across the shoulders. His waist is cinched with a red and silver patka or sash. He is decked with necklaces, anklets, rings, and bracelets and has a jewel-encrusted khatar or punch dagger and small dagger tucked into his patka. He lifts his left hand to smell a flower. He faces a youth, probably his son and successor Pratap Singh (b. 1724, r. 1751-54). Pratap stands with his hands in namaskara and wears a bright orange jama elaborately jewelled. Both figures wear orange turbans decorated with plumes and intricate jewellery.
James Tod claims Jagat was dissipated, but that was fairly common for the rulers of this period. He ruled during a time of the Maratha supremacy, but appears to have been content to pay the Marathas to stay away.
For a discussion of his life and the art of his period see: Andrew Topsfield, Court painting at Udaipur, Zurich, , pp. 179ff.