Hispano-Moresque Lustre Charger
This shimmering circular charger is covered in a creamy-white tin glaze and painted in blue and brown copper-lustre. The raised central boss is striking due to its solid lustre border which encloses a four-sided foliate design. The surrounding cavetto bears elegantly decorated blue and relief-painted leaves split into four sections. Interestingly, the sloping and everted rim has two rare features: the three cartouches with fleshy leaf-form design strongly recall the Islamic motifs found on early Islamic pottery from Al-Andalus; furthermore, the three sets of six-petalled flowers are uncommon motifs in Hispano-Moresque lustre chargers of the sixteenth century. On the reverse of the charger there is a central rosette surrounded by concentric circles, fern leaves and whorls which are all in brown copper-lustre. The charger was made specifically for hanging, for it has an original hole on the rim which is glazed around the edges indicating the intended position for display.
Anthony Ray. 2000. Spanish Pottery: 1248-1898. London: V&A Publications.